We asked our readers to submit their favorite photos of the furry or four-legged members of their families who, though they aren’t human, are (almost) as beloved as the kids. We were delighted with the piles of photos you all sent in.
Americans are particularly in love with their pets. Here are a few fascinating tidbits culled from the annual AP-Petside polls conducted between 2009 and 2011.*
• About 30 percent of married women say their pets are better listeners than their spouses.
• A majority of pet owners polled said they planned on buying their pet a present to put under the Christmas tree.
• About one-fourth of pet owners celebrate their pet’s birthday or mark the day the pet came to live with them.
• Over 40 percent of pet owners have taken a pet on vacation, dogs more so than cats.
• Over 20 percent have taken their pets to their workplace.
• Most pet owners admit to feeding their animals human food.
• 19 percent have bought an outfit for their pet but 43 percent said their pet had its own “sense of style.”
• Men were less likely than women to call their pet a full member of the household.
Bath time at Star and David Espinoza’s Simi Valley home is lots of fun for Molly, Mac, Miles and Murphy.
*The Associated Press-Petside.com poll is conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs and Corporate Communications.